Green Tomato Tart
If you haven't had fried green tomatoes you don't know what's good! Here is a recipe for Green Tomato Tart that is a bit showier than plain old fried green tomatoes. Try this one for lunch with fresh cut melons. It's a real winner!
Servings 4 to 6
- half a recipe of pie dough – one raw crust chilling on baking sheet
- 2 t veggie oil
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 C honey mustard – or make your own with mustard & honey to your taste
- 2 medium to large green tomatoes cut into 1/4” slices
- salt & pepper to taste or a bit of crushed red pepper flakes for zip
- 2 T butter melted
- 2 1/2 T fresh Italian parsley lightly chopped
Saute onions in oil in skillet, cooking slowly and stirring often, for 20 minutes. Remove from skillet and let cool.
Spread mustard on crust, leaving a 1” border. Spread onions over mustard. Arrange the tomatoes in a spiral, covering the onions. Lightly season with salt & pepper. You may roll a half-inch border around edge and crimp or press with tines of a fork – if you wish – or just leave the edge plain.
Bake in 350 degree oven for 25 minutes until edges of crust are crisp. Remove from oven and brush with the melted butter, and sprinkle with the parsley. Serve warm or at room temperature – delicious either way!