Recipes Fresh From The Farm
See what's fresh now in our Fresh Column
Soup - White Pumpkin
E. Marie from Glorious American Food Cookbook
You can use white or orange pumpkin for this wonderful soup. Adding fruit to this soup is a tradition loved by the Spanish. It's very refreshing, filling and delicious ... give it a try ... and serve it with tortillas!
- 5-6# pumpkin – white or orange
- 1 small orange pumpkin
- 2 1/2 qts. chicken stock
- 1 whole chicken breast
- 1/2# fresh speckled beans, fava’s or limas, shelled
- 6 cornichons, halved or 1 Kirby cucumber, cut into 2” julienne
- 8 ears baby sweet corn, husked – or 4 ears of regular corn cut into 2” pieces
- 1 med. hot red frying pepper – stemmed, seeded, deveined, julienned
- 1 small yellow pepper – stemmed, seeded, deveined, julienned
- 1 ripe yellow tomato – peeled, seeded, coarsely chopped – reserve juices
- 1 ripe red tomato – peeled, seeded, coarsely chopped – reserve juices
- 3 scallions, including some green, cut into 2” julienne
- 1 medium-firm ripe peach, peeled and cut into eighths
- 3 pears, thinly sliced
- 3 fresh figs, cut into 1/4” slices
- salt & pepper to taste
Cut a round “lid” in the top of the large pumpkin. Scoop out the seeds and loose fiber. Return the lid and set aside.
Seed the small pumpkin, and dice into 1/2” cubes – use 1 cup of the cubes (reserve rest for another use). Remove outer skin.
In large kettle, boil chicken stock – reduce heat, add chicken, simmer until cooked through. Remove from stock, discard skin & bones, shred. Skim foam from the top of stock. Into mildly boiling stock cook the butter beans until tender & remove. Cook the pumpkin until tender & remove.
Pour remaining 1 1/2qt of stock to the pot; bring to light boil, add cornichon, baby corn, peppers & tomatoes. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add scallions, beans, pumpkin, fruits and shredded chicken & simmer for 8-10 minutes. Check seasonings. Pour into pumpkin tureen & serve.