Recipes Fresh From The Farm
See what's fresh now in our Fresh Column
Ratatouille (Vegetable Stew)
E. Marie - via Essential Vegetarian Cookbook
Most recipes for Ratatouille cook each of the veggies individually - not this version! This is a simpler version that is every bit as good as the time consuming one. This is such a wonderful dish for all those veggies that you get at the Farmers Market. This version is good hot, room temperature or cold ... serve with anything that you have a hankering for on this particular day.
- 2 medium eggplants, sliced into 1/4” thick rounds
- coarse salt (optional)
- 1 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 onion, sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, without leafy fronds, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted, peeled, and sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, roasted, peeled, and sliced
- 6 medium ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 bouquet garni, containing basil, oregano, and thyme
- 2 firm zucchini, sliced into 1/2” thick rounds
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/3 C. assorted sliced olives and capers (optional)
Heat oven to 425 degrees.
If eggplant is full of seeds, sprinkle them with salt. Line a colander with paper towels, place eggplant inside to drain for 30 minutes. Rinse lightly, just to remove the salt from the surface. Blot dry with paper towel. Place eggplant in a single layer on a nonstick baking sheet and bake until light brown on top, about 10 minutes. Turn over to brown on other side, about 5 minutes. Remove from oven.
Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add the onions, fennel, and garlic. Reduce the heat to medium and saute, stirring often until the onions are soft and translucent, about 12 minutes. Stir in the bell peppers, eggplant,s tomatoes, and bouquet garni. Cook at a gentle simmer over medium heat until the sauce thickens, about 30 minutes. Stir in the zucchini and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Remove and discard the bouquet garni. Season with salt and pepper. Can add 1/3 cup of assorted sliced olives and capers before serving. Serve hot, room temp or cold.