- ½ cup flour
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 pounds eggplant in ½ inch slices
- ½ cup olive oil
- 3 cups tomatoes broken or chopped with juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried crumbled
- 1 ½ cups grated and loosely packed mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
Put the flour in a shallow dish and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Lightly coat each eggplant slice on both side, and set aside.
Heat the olive oil in a skillet until it is very hot.
Quickly fry each eggplant slice until browned on both sides. Don’t crowd the skillet.
Remove each slice as it is browned and place on paper towels to drain, patting tops to collect excess oil.
Repeat until all slices are browned.
Spread half the tomatoes and juice over the bottom of a shallow baking dish.
Salt and pepper lightly. Place the eggplant slices over the tomatoes so they overlap a little.
Sprinkle with parsley and oregano over the slices, saving a little parsley to add just before serving.
Spread the remaining tomatoes and juice over the top.
Sprinkle the mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses all over the top.
Cover the dish with foil and bake 20 minutes.
Uncover and bake 10-15 minutes more.
Serve hot; though it is very tasty cold, too.