Apple & Pear Salad with Fig Vinaigrette
- 3 C mixed savory greens such as arugula, watercress, tat tsoi, endive
- 2 apples preferably Gala or tart, crisp varietals
- 2 ripe pears sliced in wedges
- 1 medium fennel bulb thinly sliced vertically
- 1/2 C lightly toasted pecan halves
- Fig Vinaigrette recipe follows
To serve, divide the greens among well-chilled plates. Arrange the apple, pear, and fennel on and around the greens. Sprinkle with pecan halves. Drizzle some of the fig vinaigrette over all.
In a saucepan, combine 1/3 cup of the dried figs with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat & simmer, covered until the figs are soft, about 5 minutes. Cool. Pour the fig mixture into a blender or food processor and puree. Transfer to a medium bowl. Whisk in the wine, apple juice, thyme, mustard seeds, shallots, vinegar & olive oil. Season with salt & pepper to taste. Stir in the remaining figs.