Acorn Squash with Apple-Sausage Stuffing
Another apple recipe from "Apple Magic" ... this one comes from Doc Carey Homestead Orchards in Michigan. This is a super dish for us squash lovers. Great for breakfast, lunch or dinner - wonderful with roast pork.
Servings 6 Servings
- 3 acorn squash
- 1 lb ground sausage
- 2 large (unpeeled) Spy apples
- 1/3 C brown sugar or maple sugar, molasses, maple syrup or honey packed
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg fresh ground from a nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 1/8 tsp ginger freshly grated from a ginger root
- 1/3 C dried currents or raisins
- 1/3 C butter
- 1/2 C chopped nuts
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Cut squash lengthwise into halves; remove seeds. Place cut side down in baking pans with hot water about 1/2” deep. Cover and bake 20 minutes. Meanwhile, saute sausage until pink color changes to beige – do not overcook.