Recipes Fresh From The Farm
See what's fresh now in our Fresh Column
Heirloom Tomato Gazpacho - 2012 Tomato Festival
Mei Bach - from the Farmers Market
Did you get to taste this treat at the market during the Tomato Festival. If you missed it you must try this recipe at home! Very tasty? Mei, Marie Ganister and the Culinary Kids did a spectacular job on Sunday. The Focaccia Bread was delicious - dough from Panorama and the fixin's came from the market vendors ... thank you vendors for such a lovely and tasty morning, and the Culinary class made a couple of bucks - they sure need it with the budget cuts!
- 6 large heirloom tomatoes, all varieties and colors, seeded, cut into large chunks
- 1/2 loaf toasted herbs seasonal sourdough bread, cut into medium cubes
- 1 C. whole milk
- 1/4 C. clarified butter
- 1 medium red onion, cut into wedges
- 3 cloves blanched garlic
- 3/4 English or Armenian cucumber, seeded, cut into large cubes
- 1 1/2 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, cut into large cubes
- 1 1/2 yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded, cut into large cubes
- 1/4 C. fresh chopped cilantro
- 2 T. red wine vinegar
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 T. hot sauce
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 C. olive oil
- 8 T. balsamic vinegar
- 1 C. toasted Almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1 C. grated Parmesan cheese
Presoak the sourdough bread in the milk.
In saute pan, preheat the clarified butter, lightly cook the onion, garlic and peppers for 7 minutes or until softened, over medium heat.
In a blender or Vita-mix, combine tomatoes, cucumber, sauteed vegetables and puree until smooth, add the soaked bread and continue to pulse the motor for a few seconds. Add the cilantro, vinegar, lemon juice, hot sauce, and season with salt and pepper to taste. pour in the olive oil in small amounts until mixture is combined.
Transfer to a big bowl and chill for 1-2 hours until cold. If you like a smoother texture, strain the tomato mixture through a fine strainer before chilling.
Divide into small soup bowls, drizzle a few drops of balsamic vinegar, garnish with almond nut and cheese. Serve cold.